Variable Star Designation
(Bayer system variant for variable stars)
Current Variable Star Designation can be considered a variant
of Bayer Designation. Current procedures are:
- Use the Bayer Designation if the star has one.
- Use capital letters R through Z with the constellation.
- Use letter-doublets with R and above with constellation.
- Use letter-doublets with first letter A through Q (skipping J) with constellation.
- Use V335, V336, V337, ... with constellation.
Numbering begins with 335 because the letter combination system
covers 334 designations.
The system's complexity is due to its repeated expansion
as the number of known variable stars grew.
Examples: T Tauri, DQ Tau, GG Tau, HL Tau,