Sloan Digital Sky Survey
(imaging survey of 500,000,000 objects in 35% of sky)
The Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS)
is a series of surveys (or "survey phases")
carried out with the Sloan 2.5m Telescope
at Apache Point Observatory (APO), New Mexico,
which was built for the purpose.
It is named for Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Surveying began in 2000, covering 35% of sky, with
photometry of 500 million objects
and spectra of 1 million objects.
The median redshift of the galaxies
is redshift z = .1, reaching as far as z = .7,
with quasars to redshift z = 6 and beyond.
The original survey (SDSS-I) was visible light images
using a photometric system of five bands:
- SDSS-I (2000-2005, Data Releases 1-5)
- SDSS-II (2005-2008, Data Releases 6-7)
- SDSS-III (2008-2014, Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey, SEGUE-2, APOGEE, MARVELS, TDSS, Data Releases 8-10)
- SDSS-IV (2014-?, APOGEE-2, eBOSS, MaNGA)
Among the sub-surveys:
- APOGEE (APO Galactic Evolution Experiment) - infrared survey of the Milky Way interior.
- BOSS (Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey) - survey to map the spatial resolution of luminous red galaxies and quasars.
- MARVELS (Multi-object APO Radial Velocity Exoplanet Large-area Survey) - survey to find extra-solar planets using radial velocity measurements.
- SEGUE and SEGUE-2 (Sloan Extension for Galactic Understanding and Exploration) - follow-up surveys to SDSS of a group of 119,000 Milky Way stars.
- TDSS (Time Domain Spectroscopic Survey) - spectroscopic investigation of variable sources.
- MaNGA (Mapping Nearby Galaxies at APO) - IFU Observations of 10,000 nearby galaxies, yielding a map of information for each galaxy, e.g., showing whether the SF is in the center versus in the arms.
|SDSS||SDSS 1346-0031||Sloan Digital Sky Survey|| |
|Segue||Segue 2||Sloan Digital Sky Survey||SEGUE discovery|
Atacama Cosmology Telescope (ACT)
baryon acoustic oscillations (BAO)
Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey (BOSS)
conditional stellar mass function (CSMF)
GALEX Arecibo SDSS Survey (GASS)
gas fraction estimation
Galaxy Zoo 2 (GZ2)
luminous red galaxy (LRG)
Ritchey-Chrétien telescope (RCT)
Sloan Great Wall (SGW)
Sloan 2.5m Telescope
SkyMapper Southern Survey (SMSS)
TiNy Titans (TNT)
ultra-faint dwarf galaxy (UFD)
VLT Survey Telescope (VST)